Enfield Deanery

                                                                 

The Enfield Deanery is part of the Edmonton Episcopal Area. Edmonton is the special responsibility of the Bishop of Edmonton, the Rt Rev Peter Wheatley, supported by the Archdeacon, the Ven Michael Lawson.



The Archdeaconry is divided into seven deaneries which are: Central Barnet, West Barnet, North Camden, South Camden, Enfield, East Haringey & West Haringey.

 

 

ll Saints, Church Street, Edmonton, London N9.

All Saints, Church Street, Edmonton, London N9.

All Saints w S. Michael, Church Street, Edmonton, London N9.
There has been a church on this site from 1163. Most of the building is C15. Restorations of the church have taken place in 1855 and 1871 by Ewan Christian and 1889 by W. Gilbee Scott. There are monuments to Charles Lamb +1834 and William Cowper +1800. The church contains a number of brasses, monuments and ledger stones. The east end has a spectacular Victorian wall painting of angels and saints.

 

 

Aldhelm, Silver Street, Upper Edmonton, London N18.

S. Aldhelm, Silver Street, Upper Edmonton, London N18.

S. Aldhelm, Silver Street, Upper Edmonton, London N18.
This church was built in 1903 and designed by W.D. Caroe. This is a brick church with low aisles, a fleche on the crossing and a bell turret at the west end. The reredos with its painting of the Ascension and the stained glass are by Walter Percival Starmer.

 

. Alphege, Hertford Road, Edmonton, London N9.

S. Alphege, Hertford Road, Edmonton, London N9.

S. Alphege, Hertford Road, Edmonton, London N9.
This church built in 1957-8 and designed by Edward Maufe has a slim bell turret with sculpture of S. Alphege and a round east wondow with a figure of Christ Crucified. The interior is dominated by a modern painting of the Crucifixion by C. Pearson.

 

Mary w S. John, Dysons Road, Edmonton, London N18

S Mary w S. John, Dysons Road, Edmonton, London N18

S Mary w S. John, Dysons Road, Edmonton, London N18
This imposing brick church built in 1905-6 designed by C.H.B. Quennell has clerestory windows and lofty internal proportions. The internal arcades separate the nave from the passage aisles.

 

 Peter, Bounces Road, Edmonton Green, London N9.

S Peter, Bounces Road, Edmonton Green, London N9.

S. Peter, Bounces Road, Edmonton Green, London N9. This brick church was built in 1896 and designed by Newman & Newman. It has a chancel apse and an apsed baptistery with a fine onyx font.

 

. Stephen, Park Avenue, Bush Hill Park, Enfield, Middlesex.

S. Stephen, Park Avenue, Bush Hill Park, Enfield, Middlesex.

S. Stephen, Park Avenue, Bush Hill Park, Enfield, Middlesex.
Designed by J.S. Alder, this church has two building phases - 1906-7 when the east part was built and 1915 when the west bays of the nave were built. This church is built of stone and with perpendicular style tracery.

 

 Mark, St. Marks Road, Bush Hill Park, Enfield, Middlesex.

S. Mark, St. Marks Road, Bush Hill Park, Enfield, Middlesex.

S. Mark, St. Marks Road, Bush Hill Park, Enfield, Middlesex.
This church was mainly built in 1893 and designed by J.E.K. & J.P. Cutts and completed in 1915 except for the planned north-west tower.

 

. George, Hertford Road, Enfield Wash, Middlesex.

S. George, Hertford Road, Enfield Wash, Middlesex.

S. George, Hertford Road, Enfield Wash, Middlesex.
Built in 1899 - 1906 to the design of J.E.K. & J.P. Cutts. The church is of brick and comprises a chancel, long nave with aisles and baptistery.

 

 James, Hertford Road, Enfield Highway, Middlesex.

S. James, Hertford Road, Enfield Highway, Middlesex.

S. James, Hertford Road, Enfield Highway, Middlesex.
This Commissioners' church was built in 1831 and designed by W.C. Lochner. An aisled chancel was added in 1864. After a fire in 1969 it was restored by J. Barrington-Baker & Partners. There is a west tower, but the interior is very plain with a panelled chancel.

 

 John the Baptist, Clay Hill, Enfield Middlesex.

S. John the Baptist, Clay Hill, Enfield Middlesex.

S. John the Baptist, Clay Hill, Enfield Middlesex.
This church was built in 1857 to the design of J.P. St Aubyn. This small aisleless church on the edge of Enfield has polychrome brickwork both inside and out, also a fleche at the west end. The stained glass is by Heaton, Butler & Bayne.

 

. Luke, Browning Road, Enfield, Middlesex.

S. Luke, Browning Road, Enfield, Middlesex.

S. Luke, Browning Road, Enfield, Middlesex.
This church was built in 1899 - 1900 and 1908 and designed by James Brookes. It is of brick with stone facings and has a central turret. Stained glass is probably by Hardman.

 

 Mary Magdalene, Windmill Hill, Enfield, Middlesex.

S. Mary Magdalene, Windmill Hill, Enfield, Middlesex.

S. Mary Magdalene, Windmill Hill, Enfield, Middlesex.
This fine church was designed by William Butterfield and built 1883. It has fine stained glass windows by Butterfield and also Heaton Butler & Bayne. The chancel has painted ceiling panels by Charles Buckeridge 1897-8 and murals on the side walls which are by N H Westlake and completed in 1899. 

 

S_Matthew.jpg

S. Matthew, South Street, Ponders End, Enfield, Middlesex.

S. Matthew, South Street, Ponders End, Enfield, Middlesex.
The nave and north aisle were designed by H. J. Paul and built of Kentish rag in 1877-8, the chancel and chapel were designed by J.E.K. & J.P. Cutts and built in 1900. There is a small bell turret and a two toned tiled roof. The high altar has a triptych reredos of the Epiphany painted by Beatrice Offor.

 

S_Michael_and_All_Angels.jpg

S Michael & All Angels, Gordon Hill, Enfield, Middlesex.

S Michael & All Angels, Gordon Hill, Enfield, Middlesex.
This church was built in 1874 and designed by Carpenter & Ingelow. It is built of stone with clerestory paired lancet windows, the chancel is a polygonal apse which internally has brick walls and vault. The chancel has a handsome stone reredos depicting the Crucifixion.

 

::images:module1:SS_Peter_and_Paul.jpg

S. Peter & S. Paul, Ordnance Road, Enfield Lock, Middlesex.

S. Peter & S. Paul, Ordnance Road, Enfield Lock, Middlesex.
This church which was built in 1969 and designed by Romilly Craze and replaces an earlier church which was destroyed during the war. It is mainly of brick with a slender bell tower. It has a simple interior with a fine reredos depicting the Crucifixion.

 

esus Church, Forty Hill, Enfield, Middlesex.

Jesus Church, Forty Hill, Enfield, Middlesex.

Jesus Church, Forty Hill, Enfield, Middlesex.
This church which was built in 1835 to the design of Thomas Ashwell of Tottenham. It is in the style of Commissioners' churches and a perpendicular style chancel was added in 1926 designed by A. E. Henderson. Other features were added - the pulpit 1872 by R.H. Carpenter, screen 1898 by G.F. Bodley, reredos 1933 by Wallace Wood, wall paintings by Lawrence Lee, and stained glass by Ward & Hughes and Percy Bacon.

 

 

S_Andrew_Enfield.jpg

S. Andrew, Market Place, Enfield, Middlesex.

S. Andrew, Market Place, Enfield, Middlesex.
This church dates from c12 or c13 and has endured a number of restorations over the years. Probably the most important were in 1789 by Leverton, 1810 by Lapidge, 1824 by W.C. Lochner, 1853 by J.P. St Aubyn, and 1908-9 by J.O. & C.M.O. Scott. In 1923 a wall painting by Powell of the Crucifixion above the chancel arch was added. There is a fine collection of monuments dating from 1446 to 1706.

 

hrist Church, Waterfall Road and The Green, Southgate, London N14.

Christ Church, Waterfall Road and The Green, Southgate, London N14.

Christ Church, Waterfall Road and The Green, Southgate, London N14.
This church was built with a broached spire in 1861-3 and designed by Sir George G. Scott. It replaced the chapel built by Sir John Weld of Arnolds in 1615. Probably the main feature of this church is the fine collection of stained glass by Morris & Co. and there is work by William Morris, Philip Webb, Ford Madox Brown, and Burne-Jones. In addition the high altar has a reredos by Salviati.

 

hrist Church, Chalk Lane, Cockfosters, Barnet, Herts.

Christ Church, Chalk Lane, Cockfosters, Barnet, Herts.

Christ Church, Chalk Lane, Cockfosters, Barnet, Hertfordshire.
This church was built in 1839 and designed by H.E. Kendall. A chancel, north aisle, transepts and chapels designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield were added in 1898.

 

oly Trinity, Green Lanes, Winchmore Hill, London N21.

Holy Trinity, Green Lanes, Winchmore Hill, London N21.

Holy Trinity, Green Lanes, Winchmore Hill, London N21.
The original church was designed by J.S. Alder and built in 1906-7 with an east end designed by F.D. Danvers, however a fire in 1978 destoyed much of the church which was restored by Stanley Gidlowe. The interior orientation of the church was changed.

 

. Andrew, Chase Side, Southgate, London N14.

S. Andrew, Chase Side, Southgate, London N14.

S. Andrew, Chase Side, Southgate, London N14.
This church built in a red brick gothic style was designed by A.R. Barker, with a sanctuary and north chapel extension by Barker & Kirk in 1916. There is an ambulatory passage behind the high altar.

 

. John the Evangelist, Green Lanes and Bourne Hill, Palmers Green, London N13.

S. John the Evangelist, Green Lanes and Bourne Hill, Palmers Green, London N13.

S. John the Evangelist, Green Lanes and Bourne Hill, Palmers Green, London N13.
This muscular church built in 1903-9 and designed by John Oldrid Scott has a significant crossing tower and rich red brick interior. There is significant stained glass by Morris & Co designed by J.H. Dearle and the Patmos window designed by Frank Salisbury.

 

. Paul, Camlet Way, Hadley Wood, Herts.

S. Paul, Camlet Way, Hadley Wood, Herts.

S. Paul, Camlet Way, Hadley Wood, Hertfordshire.
This small church which was built in 1922 and designed by A. E. Kingswell.

 

. Paul, Church Hill, Winchmore Hill, London N21.

S. Paul, Church Hill, Winchmore Hill, London N21.

S. Paul, Church Hill, Winchmore Hill, London N21.
This aisleless Commissioners type church was built in 1826-7 and designed by John Davies. The stained glass is by Ward & Nixon and Hardman.

 

. Peter, Vera Avenue, Grange Park, London N21.

S. Peter, Vera Avenue, Grange Park, London N21.

S. Peter, Vera Avenue, Grange Park, London N21.  This brick church built in 1939-41 was designed by Cyril Farey (1888 - 1954). It is described as Scandinavian-Classical in style. Its furnishings came from War damaged churches. Its most significant item is the baluster font and cover from S. Katherine Coleman Church in the City of London. The stained glass is mainly by Margaret E. Aldrich Rope.

 

 

. Thomas, Prince George Avenue, Oakwood, London N14.

S. Thomas, Prince George Avenue, Oakwood, London N14.

 

Nefertiti:Users:RevGJG:Desktop:P1010903.JPG

Grace Church at Highlands School

 

 

S. Thomas, Prince George Avenue, Oakwood, London N14.
This church was built in 1938-41 and was designed by Romilly Craze. It has a copper spire. The stained glass window in the Lady Chapel is by Alfred Fisher.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Grace Church, Highlands.  Grace Church Highlands is a new Anglican church and we meet every Sunday morning at 10.30am in Highlands School hall, N21 1QQ.  During the service we have a crèche, Good News Club and Pathfinders for 0-2s, 3-5s, 5-10s and 10-14s. Our youth group, B@SE meets on Sunday evenings.  Our aim as a church is ‘to know Christ and to share Christ’ and to serve the people of Highlands Village.

For more information contact Revd Andy Wadsworth via the website.

 

 

 

 

© Enfield Deanery